Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Carousel


I love to ride carousels. Bryan...not so much. I grew up riding the carousel in Rexburg. It is the pride of the community and I have watched the price rise from 10 cents to now a dollar. It may have gone up but now I'm gone so I don't know. It is 1 of 170 antique carousels still working in the world, built in 1926. I found out that Hartford has another running antique carousel in Bushnell park and I wanted to go ride it. I thought to make a full day of it and go to the carousel museum then go ride the carousel. The Bushnell Park carousel was built in 1914. I told a family in my ward about it and they seemed interested so we all made a day trip out of it. I learned a lot from the museum. I suggest to go to a carousel museum you'll be pretty enlightened. The horses are hollow, they have a romance side and an apprentice side. Next time your on a carousel take a look and see if you can tell which is the romantic side and which is not. If there is a lion on your carousel there can only be one because he is king. There is always a lead horse. He is the most beautiful and that is the horse they count rotations with. After all the interesting info we put it into real life and rode the carousel. One of the girls sat on the lead horse and Oliver took his first ride around a carousel held by his mom. The way every first carousel ride should be.

0 comments: