Sunday, August 17, 2008

Floatin' the River


For our Youth Activity this week we floated down the Farmington River. It was a blast. The youth are so much fun and I just love them. I road down in a little boat that we bought 10 min before and Bryan was learning to Kayak. (Don't worry I left Oliver with someone.) Bryan makes a very sexy Kayaker. I had been told that this river was very easy going and that there wouldn't be any parts that I might get plunged into it's murky depths. I believe the exact quote from Brother Bayley was that it was just like the lazy river at Lagoon. I thought that it would be awesome to bring along my camera to take some shots on the river. Everyone told me that it would be fine and wouldn't be "swimmin' with the fishes" if you know what I mean. We got to the first set of rapids about 10 min later. If the rapids need a lifeguard then you know you should probably watch out. These rapids had a lifeguard. Me and the Bishops family were caught completely off guard. Madison was crawling into the boat at the last moment and I was hanging on for dear life with my camera straight up in the air so it wouldn't get soaked. After that the ride was not as eventful. We got stuck on a few rocks, splashed by a couple of smartaleck kayakers, and stuck on a tree. When we had reached our destination a person, who chooses to remain anonymous, jumped over the edge to pull us to safety. While most of this river is about up to your waist this particular part was above your head. She came back up splashing and cussing and lost her $20 sunglasses. Once pulled to safety we lounged on the rocky beach and waited to be picked up and taken home.

To see more pictures go here.

4 comments:

Jaime said...

Ooooh Kayaking is so fun! What a fun mutual activity. Being in the YW is so fun and is one of the best callings I have been in! It looks like you two enjoy it as well.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like so much fun. Its a good thing you didn't have Oliver even though everyone said it was like a lazy river, sorry I missed your guys call, We tent to forget to take our phones with us.

Unknown said...

Wow, that sounded really fun... oh wait, I was there! (Thanks for keeping my bad mouth anonymous!)

Unknown said...

oops, apparently I am signed in under Madison... all the more anonymous.