Friday, February 5, 2010

Hello, My name is ClarisaJo and I watch too much HGTV

Visit thecsiproject.com





This week has been a flurry of tape, rollers, and paint! I've been working on getting Ollie's room put together how I've been planning since me and Bryan were engaged. I've always loved the idea of planning and creating beautiful living spaces. But...we've always rented apartments. Which means don't put too many holes in the wall, don't paint, and don't have any fun. Now that we have our own house I've been very surprised that it has taken me this long to break out the paint.I've always wanted to paint a cool design on my kids bedroom wall. It started as polka dots, then changed to stripes, checkered, diamonds, and finally evolved into a full form idea of argyle. Then I saw what
Cocoa had done to her girls room and knew that that is what I wanted; with a little variation.This is what the wall looked like originally. Pretty lame, I know.I started by painting the whole wall a light flat orange. 2 coats.
I didn't want to have an overwhelming wall with lots of different colors. Especially since it was Orange. Orange can get overwhelming. Hence the only one wall and the 2 different shades of orange. I measured three feet across the top and the bottom of both walls, leaving small pencils marks in my wake. Then I took a string and connected all the lines diagonally and taped INSIDE each of the diamonds and painted the triangles a darker semigloss orange. The different textures of paint just gives the wall a little bit of dimension. I peeled the tape away and it looked like this. And let me tell you at this point I was done. I thought it looked good and could be left this way and I could love the wall just as much as if it had actually been argyle but Bryan convinced me that I needed to continue on. So I cracked open a can of brown paint and continued on by measuring 3 feet on the wall again but opposite of what I'd done previously. Laying my tape and then putting another piece really really close to the first then marking every 2 inches. I painted every other 2 inch block all the way down the wall. Let it dry, paint a second coat, then remove the tape.TADA!! An orange Argyle wall.

11 comments:

Montserrat said...

Snazzy! I like the effects of the semi-gloss against the flat paint.

Drew said...

Wow. I am crazy impressed. I can't even imagine how much time all the taping took! It looks way awesome!

shaneshaneshane said...

wow this is awesome, Clair! do my room now!

Becky said...

Turned out great! Way to persevere!

Unknown said...

oooo, I love this! It looks great! It also looks like a lot of work... your lines came out so crisp and clean, I would have been too afraid of smudging things all over... Maybe I'll try this on a smaller scale since I like it so much! :)

Anonymous said...

WOW -- just WOW -- Amazing job. Visiting from the CSI link party, and boy is this wall great!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

It looks great. I LOVE argyle (huge fan!) and I love that you decided to use the two different finishes of paint - good call! Thanks for sharing your process... it made it sound reasonable to get a good result!

Euharlee said...

I love it! Argyle is so in now! What a great look!

www.thatredheadedstepchild.com

Maggie Muggins said...

I love this! You did such a fantastic job. I never would have even thought of that pattern on a wall and now I'm wondering if I could do that anywhere myself!

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

OH my goodness, how awesome is that?!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That is a huge project! It looks great!

Thanks so much for linking up to the CSI Project! We really appreciate it. I hope you will come back next week for our Hardware Store challenge!

XOXO
Jen