Sunday, February 21, 2010

Postcard Swap

Today my husband asked "How much is this postcard swap thing going to cost me? I don't want to spend $70.00* on postage and $100.00* on the actual postcards."

This is where I calmly said, "Honey, 3 months ago when I asked if you thought this would be a fun idea and if we could participate I laid out the cost before you and estimated about $35-40*. You said okay." Really, this was very calm, you can ask him.

Once again Husband replied,"okay."

Phew, now that that was over I could continue with blogging about how great it's been to be receiving postcards in the mail. When Husband says, "Should we start buying these bit by bit so that the cost doesn't take a big chunk out of our budget? When is it our turn to send them out anyway?"

Again I reply in a level tone,"They are in alphabetical order meaning that we are sometime in midmarch and what kind of state is our budget in if we can't take a $40* hit for one month?

Husband replies,"$40*, that's not bad. Okay, that's fine."

Does anyone else feel that I'm talking to myself? Anyways, back to how much fun it has been to receive actual mail in our mailbox. You know, instead of those dang credit card offers (is there a do not mail list?) I search through our mail and pull out that glorious postcard, show Ollie the picture then turn it over and read about the fun facts on the back to him then it is swiftly posted on the fridge.

We now have 3 on our refrigerator and I'm proud of them but the time has come for us to create a place to put them. So right now I'm looking for any ideas on book formats to keep postcard collections for say 50 or so postcards.

And I'd like to say proudly

4 comments:

Drew said...

I think the postcard thing sounds like fun! And btw, their is a 'do not mail' list. There's info at this website: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt063.shtm

I learned about it from a finance class I took at byui years ago. It takes a little bit for the offers to stop coming, but it does get rid of the majority of them. I hope that helps. :)

Drew said...

ps.
I was looking over that website in more detail and it has several ways of opting out of things. I have only done the first one listed (the phone number of website address), and that has taken care of a lot of the junk. I haven't tried all the other things, so I can't attest to them.

Montserrat said...

The photo of the temple in your header is beautiful!

Can't wait to get your postcard as part of the swap. :D

clarisajo said...

Thanks, Cocoa, I wish I could take credit for it but it's an LDS stock photo. It is certainly beautiful.

Drew, I'm heading over to that website right now. Thanks for the help.