Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wordfull Wednesday: Love Songs


I don't believe that Bryan and I have a song (who knows, maybe we do and later today Bryan will let me know what that song is.) But I would say that we have a genre; ska. The chaos that ensues when a ska song comes on brings nothing but giggles and fun to our house.
See when you move your body to a ska song it's called skanking. It's generally a mad dance in a circle. (Not American mad but the British kind) You swing your arms around wildly and kick your legs out and spin while circling around something, people, poles, chairs, whatever central point you can find. It's mad fun.
Now a story... Before Bryan and I were married we went on a date to a local concert at the Westwood Theatre. This was a fairly common date for us, especially going to see one of our favorite local ska bands "The Opskamatrists." We met my brother there and he challenged us to a Skank-Off. (Did I mention that ska runs in the family.) This was a true test of strength, love, and physical endurance. It was a test to see who could go the longest. We skanked through the first song intensely, the second song we hit just as hard, but 4 or 5 songs into the set I was looking tired and those comfy theatre seats were looking pretty good but Bryan pulled me up and encouraged me to continue on with the dream. I was like a marathon runner that had only trained to mile 24 but still had 2 more to go. I was fading fast but Bryan pulled me along. Insert short story about how this relates to enduring to the end. Eventually the set ended and I collapsed, too tired to even walk out to the water fountain. We'd done it, we'd taken gold, though if my brother ever reads this he'll definitely debate me on this point.

The Opskamatrists - ICUN Music Video

The Opskamatrists | MySpace Music Videos

So today I'm sharing one of my favorite songs from "The Opskamatrists" Thanks for listening to me share my memories.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

fun post and thanks for sharing the video! i have never heard of them!

Esther said...

What a fun song...the kiddos would love that!

Jules said...

I can't wait to see the look on my husbands face when I challenge him to a "skank-off" lol

JRoberts said...

O boy...been a long time since I have listened to ska...thanks for the reminder that I like it! (gotta show my kids, what fun we can have with a "skank-off"!)

Montserrat said...

This is get up and move music. FUN!

Anonymous said...

A "skank-off" sounds positively thrilling!! I think my little girl would love it!!

I really enjoyed your description of how this song came to be. So fitting for love!